You've made it.
Hi! I'm Sam Ritchie.
I'm a researcher at the Mentat Collective, a small group of brains exploring computing and user interface ideas that might support thriving human communities in the year 2050.
Previously I spent time as a Staff Research Engineer at Google X, working in the field of AI and deep reinforcement learning. I've spent most of my career working on large-scale streaming systems for companies like Twitter and Stripe. I'm quite interested in the problem of how to present research results in interactive ways that make results intuitive and visual; the relevant phrase is, "Kill the PDF".
I'm most well known in the software world as the author of Summingbird, Algebird, and SICMUtils, and as the maintainer of Cascalog. I have a secret identity as a mountain athlete, and write race reports from time to time.
Here are a few sequences of posts that you might find interesting. If you do find anything valuable, please consider supporting my work on Patreon.
Race Reports (index)
- Leadville Trail 100 2013
- Leadville Trail 100 2014
- Wasatch Front 100 2014
- Miwok 100k 2015
- IMTUF 100 2016
- Vapor Trail 125 Mountain Bike Race 2017
- Niwot's Challenge 2018
- Rainier Infinity Loop 2018
- Tahoe 200 2018 (and part 2!)
- Niwot's Challenge 2019
- Texas Water Safari 2019
Book Reviews (index)
I'm working on a number of book reviews; I'll post them here as I start to produce them. In the meantime you might be interested in my bookshelf.
I post books I'm reading, or have read, on my Goodreads account here.
Here are the reviews:
- 5 Books for Endurance Addicts
- The Measure of a Mountain, by Bruce Barcott
- The Second Kind of Impossible, by Paul Steinhardt
- On Having No Head, by Douglas Harding
- The Second Mountain, by David Brooks
These are forthcoming. I'm working on a number of teaching tracks on various subjects in math, programming and overall learning. Check back in for in-depth series on:
- Reinforcement Learning (An original course on Functional RL)
- Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum
- Functional Numerical Methods
- Machine Learning Model Explanations
- Naive Set Theory
- Deep Neural Networks
- How to Read a Book
- Concepts of Modern Mathematics
- The Art and Science of Doing Engineering
- Approximate Data Structures (Exact Counts are Bullshit!)
- Entropy - Permutations and Combinations
- Taylor Series and Imaginary Numbers
- Power Series, Power Serious
Tidbits, insights into my odd mind.
- The Dreadful Secret of Platypus Boarding School (my 7th grade masterpiece.)